28 Nov, 2016
Date and Place of Birth: 23 February 1938, Cirebon
Marital Status: Married to the late Mariah Soeparno, three children.
– Akademi Pimpinan Perusahaan, Jakarta (Jakarta Corporate Leadership Academy), 1962
– Civil Air Transportation courses in Frankfurt and Amsterdam (1972 and 1974)
– Advanced Transportation Management Program, Northwestern University, Chicago, Ill (1982)
1959: Started career as passenger officer and luggage handler at Kemayoran Airport with Garuda Indonesian Airways.
1963: After completing several internal courses on top of his class, became Garuda’s youngest
Jakarta office chief at Hotel Indonesia
1968 – 1975: Became Garuda’s youngest General Manager stationed overseas (Frankfurt)
1975 – 1976: General Manager in Palembang, covering South Sumatera
1977 – 1982: General Manager in Bangkok, Thailand
1982 – 1984: General Manager for Germany, Scandinavia and Finland
1984 – 1988: Director of Sales and Marketing
1988 – 1992: President Director, PT Garuda Indonesia
1993 – 2007: Chairman of PT Sarana Putra Nusantara (property and mining) and continued involvement in tourism development, in particular Cirebon, by establishing the Sunyaragi Foundation (Yayasan Goa Sunyaragi) and actively involved in the preservation of Cirebon’s Kasepuhan Palace.
– President of IATA (1989 – 1990)
– Actively involved in the development of Nusa Dua Resort and the advancement of Bali Tourism Development Master Plan (together with Joop Ave)
– Initiated the developments of Nusa Dua Beach Hotel and Nusa Indah Convention Center (now Westin Nusa Dua), both managed by Aerowisata Hotels (a subsidiary of Garuda Indonesia) at that time.
– Published there books on “Change Management”, “National Character Building” and “Indonesian Air Transport”
Date of Passing: 17 Oct 2007
Source: Eddy Soeparno, son