21 Nov, 2016
Date and Place of Birth: 10 May 1938, Pontian, Johor
Cambridge School Certificate (1957)
Diploma in Tourism Studies Bournemouth College of Technology, United Kingdom (1973)
Group Training Course in Tourism in Japan under the Colombo Plan
Training Course in Court Procedures, Police College, Malaysia
Began career in the Malaysian Government service in 1959 following appointment as a Cooperative Officer, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Malaysia.
In 1967, joined the former Department of Tourism as a Senior Tourist Officer.
In August 1972, appointed as Director in the Tourist Development Corporation of Malaysia and served in various capabilities as follows:-
- From 1972 – 1973, as Director of Administration, Finance and General Services, was responsible for the Corporation’s overall administration, personnel and financial management;
- From 1974 – 1977, as Director of Enforcement and Facilitation, was instrumental in forging strong linkages with the private sector and in instituting and enforcing a number of legislative measures governing the industry; and
- From 1978 – 1979, as Director of Marketing, responsible of spearheading the Corporation’s effort in enhancing Malaysia’s visibility as a tourist destination.
In 1979, promoted to Deputy Director General to oversee Marketing, International Relations & Conventions and Enforcement & Facilitation.
- In December 1988, seconded to serve as the first Executive Director, ASEAN Tourism Information Centre until March 1994.
- From April 1994 – April 1995, joined City Television Sdn. Bhd., as Chief Executive and assigned to set up Malaysia’s second private television broadcasting station i.e. Metrovision
- Retired from the government service in 1993, but later recalled by the Malaysian Government to be the Director General and subsequently as Chairman of Tourism Malaysia.
During tenure of office in Tourism Malaysia, also served as member of:
- PATA Marketing Authority (1983);
- Chairman, Asean Task Force on Marketing (1984);
- PATA Conference Planning Committee (1985);
- PATA Board of Directors’ (1985 – 1988);
- PATA Management Committee (1986 – 1987);
- Malaysia – Singapore Tourism Council (1985 – 1988).
In 1981, successfully organized the first ASEAN Tourism Forum in Malaysia with the support of the private sector. The Forum has since become the premier travel trade event in ASEAN.
In 1983, played a leading role in Malaysia’s bid for the 35th Annual Conference & Travel Mart of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) and was named Conference Director when the events were held in Kuala Lumpur in 1986. Both events were hailed as the most successful in the history of PATA until then.
In 1987, initiated the successful organisation of the first Malaysia Fest which has now become a permanent feature in annual tourism calendar of Malaysia.
In 1991, coordinated the VISIT ASEAN YEAR 1992 campaign, one of ASEAN’s major tourism undertakings.
Source: Datuk Abdullah Jonid