12 Aug, 2012
(PRWEB) August 11, 2012 — InsanelyCheapFlights.com released its list of top 10 road trips today. While it might seem strange that a company selling airline tickets would recommend road trips, the journeys described begin in destinations scattered across the globe.
(Editor’s Note: The source of this collection was not stated but it is an interesting packaging concept, which could be easily adapted to identify equally good road-trips in other regions, sub-regions or countries.)
1. Route 66 – United States: It’s probably the most well known road in the world and has been the inspiration for countless movies, novels and songs. The route stretches from Chicago right across the United States, finishing up in Los Angeles. For those looking to get their kicks on Route 66, the 2448 mile journey is ready and waiting.
2. Amalfi Coast – Italy: It’s a real favorite for honeymooners and it’s easy to see why. Travelers pick up this coastal road just outside Naples, and are overcome with awe and delight as they make their way along the Mediterranean, weaving in and out of the most picturesque towns along the way.
3. Banff – Canada: This is one of the truly memorable world road trips. Running from Banff and through the Jasper National Park, this Canadian route will knock the socks off of travelers. Nature is all around, in stunning color and along the way drivers will see wild animals, sumptuous scenery and even a good share of historic buildings.
4. Californian Pacific Coast – United States: Twist and turn along more than 120 miles of outstanding natural beauty while taking in the breathtaking views in Big Sur, Monterrey, and Morro Bay. The sights just never end on this journey and travelers will find themselves catching their breath and whooping with delight at every turn.
5. Rainforest Way – Queensland – Australia: One of the most spectacular road trips in the world, the Rainforest Way which runs between New South Wales and Queensland and is a place to make lifelong memories. Set amidst long since extinct volcanoes the area is awash with color and life. The lush green mountains are home to every kind of wildlife and the sound of the singing birds as travelers meander from one mesmerizing sight to the next will delight you further still.
6. Route 62 – South Africa: Perhaps not so well known as Route 66 in the United States, the 300-mile stretch of road running from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth is no less impressive. It’s a largely inland based route but the towns, vineyards and epic mountain passes offer more than enough to keep a driver’s mind off the sea.
7. Grossglockner High Alpine Road – Austria: Any drive through Austria is going to have visitors gasping and catching their breath throughout, but the stunning 2-hour journey which winds skywards up amongst the highest mountains in the Alps really is something to experience. There are opportunities to stop and take in the view at every turn, so remember to pack a lunch.
8. Ring Road – Iceland: Certainly one of the lesser-known world road trips but perhaps one of the most pleasurable and astounding. Try this journey at the right time of year and it’s actually possible to complete the ring road, running around the entire 832-mile perimeter of the country, without ever seeing night. Take in the magnificent Westfjords, the long stretches of sandy deserted beaches and the completely uninhabited highlands.
9. Black Forest – Germany: With so many other stunning and picturesque countries in the immediate vicinity, Germany is often forgotten. However a drive through the Black Forest takes in some of the most impressive waterfalls, lakes and medieval villages travelers are likely to see anywhere in Europe.
10. Karakoram Highway – Kashmir, India: For those not afraid of heights, a drive along the famed Karakoram Highway in Kasmir, India is mind-blowing. The route contains some of the highest altitude roads in the world, and with the tallest mountains towering above and spectacular rivers below, this will be a drive you won’t forget in a hurry.
Flights to each of theses destinations, as well as rental cars, are available at InsanelyCheapFlights.com. Visitors can use the promotional code found on the homepage to save even more on their trip.